We are searching data for your request:
Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Salt & pepper tofu skewers
Cooks In45 minutes plus marinating
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 475 24%
Fat 24.3g 35%
Saturates 3.9g 20%
Sugars 17g 19%
Protein 35.9g 72%
Carbs 23.6g 9%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 6 shallots
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 2-3 fresh red chillies
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger
- groundnut oil
- 4 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 750 g firm tofu
- 1 cucumber
- ½ a bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
By Georgina Hayden
- Peel and finely slice the shallots. Trim and finely slice the spring onions and chillies, then peel and finely slice the garlic. Peel and finely grate the ginger.
- Heat a few drizzles of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the shallots, spring onions, chilli, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, over a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until soft.
- For the marinade, crush both kinds of peppercorns in a pestle and mortar with the coriander seeds and sea salt flakes. Add to the pan with the soy sauce and sugar. Reduce until thick and glossy, then transfer to a small baking tray.
- Cut the tofu into 2cm pieces, then thread onto 4 skewers. Place in the tray with the marinade, spoon over to coat and leave in the fridge to marinate for a few hours.
- When you are ready, barbecue the skewers till crisp, basting with the marinade and turning regularly.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the cucumber into ribbons and place in a bowl. Pick, finely chop and add the coriander, followed by the rice wine vinegar and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Toss to mix and serve with the crispy salt and pepper tofu skewers.